Saturday, November 6, 2010

Cleaning supplies?

This is a pretty random post. I've been trying to stick with "green" cleaning supplies as much as possible. I started with the Greenworks brand when I first got my house- but it turns out I am not a fan because it leaves a sticky residue (sticky floors are not fun).




I recently switch to using Meyer's products (cleaners and laundry detergent). I LOVE this brand. They smell SOOOO good.



Basil scent for laundry, floors, and bathroom. Lemon verbena scent for kitchen

The laundry detergent is a great deal too. I thought at first "this is going to be pricier" but when I looked at the numbers- nope. Most all natural laundry detergents that are good for H.E (high efficiency) machines are expensive (usually around $9-11 for ~26 loads). Meyer's (purchased at Walmart): $7.98 for 32 loads. Not a huge price difference, but it still counts!!

If you're using natural cleaning supplies as well, what do you recommend? And yes, I know that you can mix vinegar and stuff like that, but 1) I'm lazy and 2) it doesn't smell as pretty :)...still, Id be interested to hear suggestions.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Well I'm getting ready to try out the whole "make your own" from baking soda and borax stuff for laundry detergent and the dishwasher. It honestly should only take like 15 min to make up a jar! For surfaces I actually just use equal parts isopropyl alcohol and water in a spray bottle. I LOVE the clean smell of it! I also use that to spray the floor before mopping. For bathtubs and sinks and the toilet I use Barkeepers Friend. Not sure if it's green but my mom said it's far less "chemical" than the others. Happy cleaning, friend!

Angie said...

I totally just switched from Greenworks to the Meyer's stuff too! 1500 miles apart and still of one mind :) I also use a lot of baking soda for when I need to scrub stuff. I just sprinkle it directly on my sponge. Or when I'm motivated, I cut a lemon in half and put the baking soda on there to scrub. Yes, cutting a lemon in half is more work, just like mixing vinegar and stuff :)