Saturday, April 13, 2013

Duct tape rocks!

My sewing skills are extremely limited. As in, I can never remember how to even thread the machine that I have. At most, I've sewn about 5 straight-ish lines in my life. That being said, I was extremely excited when my favorite DIY blog posted about making your own faux roman shades WITHOUT sewing. I've been wanted to do roman shades in the breakfast nook and kitchen but was intimidated by the need for sewing.

This is where the duct tape comes in.

The DIY blog used some fancy fabric-y white tape. I used good-old-tried-and-true duct tape.


Faux roman shades assembled with duct tape, pins, and no-sew-iron-hem tape. 

Duct tape rocks.



I searched for this fabric for almost two years. It's "Cecilia" from IKEA and they were always out of stock when I went there. I finally snagged 4 yards, measured, and hemmed using iron-on hemming tape.


My blinds are vinyl and at the top, there is a wider vinyl piece that hides where the blinds are attached to the window frame. I literally just duct taped the fabric to the vinyl piece. This is from where the faux roman shade will hang.


I then started pinning 4-inch folds to get the "roman" look. This took a bit to get everything even and lined up.



Mid-folding and pinning



Voila! Faux roman shades! You can't see the tape, you can't see the pins. Amazing.



I love them. And duct tape.

1 comment:

shari said...

Love them too! You've inspired me!