Monday, June 4, 2012

Books



Heart of Iron by Kyle Garlett

Excellent book on Kyle's battle against Hodgkin's lymphoma. The treatments for his cancer damaged his heart and required him to have a heart transplant...and then he decided to do an Ironman. I bought this book awhile ago and when I got to the account of his Ironman race attempts, I actually shouted a bit because I realized I had watched his story unfold during the Ironman coverage over the past two years! It was so neat to read all that he went through and to see his perspective on suffering and battling. I got goosebumps a couple of times when reading his description and examples of the beauty that is found in suffering. A good inspirational read.



This Momentary Marriage by John Piper

My friends gave this as their "party favor" at their wedding. Everyone (or family) in attendance received a copy. This book is amazing. A-mazing. It's about what God intended marriage to be and how couples should walk that out. I highly recommend singles to read this as well because it takes the "rose-colored glasses" romanticized perspective that we can all have about marriage and redefines it in a beautiful, challenging,  and godly way. There are some very encouraging chapters about the single season as well. Highly recommend for married couples and singles.


The Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth

 Pretty sure I like this trilogy (or the first two books of it, book three isn't due out until Fall '13) better than The Hunger Games. Crazy right? There are some parallels one could draw between the two trilogies - Brave New World-esque/Dystopian society themes are there - but Roth uses factions instead of districts. There are five factions based on virtues - a faction for bravery, for selflessness, for friendliness, for knowledge, and for honesty. One is born into a faction but at age 16, a test is administered to determine one's propensity for their current faction or another, and they must chose between the two factions - stay with one's family, or leave them forever. Faction before blood. Great writing - the book moves fast. It's a bit...to use a friend's word, "saltier" than the Hunger Games books, so more appropriate, in my mind, for older readers. I'm looking forward to the 3rd book! Good summer reading.


The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer

Yay for free Kindle downloads. This book blew my mind. A.W . Tozer only had a 6th grade education and this book was written in the 1940s, yet all of his examples make it seem like it was written for modern day. Convicting, encouraging, applicable - I could go on and on. Each chapter concludes with Tozer's own prayers, which are beautiful and sincere, and echoed my heart in many chapters. A great tool for regaining focus on what matters, God. Highly recommend.

1 comment:

Peter said...

Better than the Hunger Games?! Oh my gosh, I have to read these! I'm going to see if they're at the library right now.

Glad to hear the update on your NRD and your plan, and that you found some pain meds that work!