Monday, August 6, 2007

From Russia, with Love

Well, my coworker, Kevin, and I arrived safely in Moscow. I have some stories.

Good: My new iPod nano (it's red, 4GB), complete with protective silicon case

Bad: Not finding your awesome travel pillow and running late
Good: Finding a cool one at Target on your way to the airport
Bad: Discovering after you've popped 2 tylenol PM that the little thing you blow air into won't close, so the pillow keeps deflating.
Good: MacGyvering a solution from a piece of paper and spit- creating a seal that works! Yay for inflated inflatable pillows (I'm still taking it back when I get home)

Bad: Getting really really really motion sick on the descent into Atlanta (it always gets me...stupid Dutch roll motion... but never this bad)
Good: Managing to get to the ladies room in the airport before uh...loosing your breakfast (although it meant leaving Kevin slighty baffled by my mad dash to the restroom)

Good: shashlik and hoichipuri (Lisa and Christina- I like the Tractor)
Good: Going to the biggest electronics store I have ever seen (something like Garbushnya- you know which store I mean). I bought a copy of 'Monsters Inc' in Russian!

It was Tremayne and Tony's (two guys from the Visiting Vehicle Group who were here for the Progress undock and dock) last day here, so we had lunch with them and then followed them aroudn for their last minute souvenir shopping.

Good: Finally being in a NASA room for the first time ever. The best things about it: the water cooler and the computer.

Tomorrow we will head to the TsUP (Moscow Mission Control Center) to set up everything. We plan to take Wednesday off, since we will be working the next 14 days. I think I sense a trip to the KGB museum...

3 comments:

Todd said...

no one can resist the token "From Russia, with Love" blog title.

Glad to hear you guys made it okay!!

Weather forecasts show a 70% chance of flying on wednesday! No other hurdles at this time...

Have fun...hear ya on the loops.

Joshua said...

Melissa. Your mission if you choose to accept it - infiltrate KBG headquarters to introduce agent 87 into their files. This message will not self destruct in 30 seconds.....

Lisa said...

Love the Red Nano...yes, I'm jealous! :)

Glad you like the Tractor...I thought it was a good place too!