Monday, November 16, 2009

My First Half-Marathon!


Half-Marathoners!

Two years ago, I had yet to run a 5k....I can now say I have done a half-marathon. ::HUGE grin::

This weekend was AWESOME! Lisa and I road-tripped to San-Antonio, ate awesome breakfast burritos on the way from some random taqueria, got our packets, purchased the "required" runners paraphanelia (shirts with quirky running slogans, running glasses, tri and run stickers for the cars, etc). Then we had dinner with some of her family at Zio's (pasta a MUST the night before a race, at least for me...stick with what works :) ).


At the expo

We'd heard some horror stories of race logistics from the previous race year (which had been the inaugural year), so we woke up at 4:15 (ugh) and were at the shuttles by 5:15am or so...it worked out so well, we got to the starting line with plenty of time to eat breakfast, check our bags, stretch, visit the facilities (I swear I have the most nervous bladder EVER, ::sigh::). There were SO many people...close to 30,000 people ran this race. The race started at 7:30am and we didn't cross the start line until about 8:05am! It took us that long to get up there, crazy.


On the shuttle to the race



My race morning granola in my engineered bowl :)

The weather wasn't ideal. It was ridiculously humid. Thankfully, it was overcast with relatively low temps (~65)...but me and humidity have never agreed so I was a bit worried. We hit some decent hills between mile 5 and 6 and I was really getting concerned that I might over heat. Yay for a double downhill and an AWESOME cool breeze...it set me straight and I found my stride. We had a couple of sub-10 minutes miles after that, that's how good we were feeling!

The longest distance either of us had ever run before was 11.2 miles and I will tell you those last two miles were the longest of the course (other than that, the time flew by, seriously!). Running with live bands along the course was great and the course was PACKED with cheering spectators the entire way. That was pretty impressive!

The course ended up on a mean uphill, but we made it and crossed the finish line with arms raised high!

Of course, my legs immediately starting trying to cramp up (they never fully succeeded :P). I've had some problems with my hamstrings of late and they were certainly protesting. But other than a quite spectacular blister on my big toe from a sock seam that self-adjusted during the race, I came out injury free.


At the spa, after our awesome treatment

Lisa and I treated ourselves to a full body treatment (including a 90 minute massage- a scheduling accident on their part so they only charged us for the 60 minutes we had actually requested. What a blessing!). And then we chowed down at P.F. Changs. Comfy jammies and hotel movie being the nightcap :)

We spent today at the outlets in San Marcos- walking around definitely loosened the muscles...I'm feeling pretty good- no groaning when I stand up :D. That tells me I trained pretty sufficiently, so I am very pleased with that.

What's next? I've got a couple of things up my sleeve...but that's for a later post. Thank you all so much for your support. I really couldn't do this without those of you who asked about my training and encouraged me (Allyson and Kristi especially, love you girls!)- it's quite the lesson in mental and physical discipline. I thank God for allowing me to do this half-marathon, especially since I was on the injured list this time last year. All glory to Him, for His healing and His sustaining.

1 comment:

nujoud said...

Congrats Mel!! Running races is addicting, but it's a good kind of drug.