Thursday, March 3, 2011

Tales of Veggies

I was going to say "Veggie Adventures" but I thought that would really be pushing the whole "adventure" theme :)...and "Veggie Tales"...well, self-explanatory.

For the month of February I made it an unofficial goal to make sure I ate at least 3 servings of fruit and 3 servings of vegetables a day. I've never really paid a lot of attention, because I do eat a fair amount of fruits and veggies (this happens when you don't eat a lot of meat), but I wanted to see how I measured up. I didn't do too badly...especially after I looked up what counted as a "serving" and realized I was eating about 1.5 times that for each of my "servings" :). I'm definitely more deliberate to include fruits and veggies now when planning out my lunches and dinners.

The veggies in my fridge right now: cauliflower, red cabbage, brussel sprouts, carrots, mixed greens, red kale, green kale, and asparagus (I usually have zucchini and sweet potatoes too). Did you know that brussell sprouts have more vitamin C in them than oranges? I use fresh vegetables mostly and eat them raw or braised/baked/roasted...boiling leeches out a lot (but not all, so it's definitely better than not eating veggies at all!) of the nutrients.

For fruits, it's mostly tomatoes, apples, bananas, grapes, and oranges, with some blueberries thrown in (picked from last summer!), and the best snack food invention, Clif Kids Fruit Twists (no sugar added, all natural, and it's one serving of fruit!). I'm looking forward to spring/summer fruits!

Next up is working on the whole grains. Before gf, this was definitely not a problem. I LOVE whole grains...but now I can't eat a lot of them, so I need to balance that part of my diet a bit more.

What are your favorite fruits and veggies to eat?




Red and green kale salad with red cabbage and roasted asaparagus and brussel sprouts
(both the salad and roasted veggies were tossed around in about 1tsp olive oil, a bunch of apple cider vinegar, sea salt, and coarse black pepper)

1 comment:

shari said...

Can we come live with you? :)