Saturday, June 25, 2011

It's a table!!!

Remember the table on this post?

I finally got around to sanding, priming, and painting it!!!



All set to break in my DeWalt orbit sander (that I have had for over a year). I ended up not having to use the ear plugs because this is a super quiet sander!


All sanded! I only used the orbit sander on the table top. Had to use good old fashioned sheet sandpaper and elbow grease on the rest, but it didn't take long at all to remove the varnish.



Following furniture painting instructions from Young House Love, one of my favorite DIY blogs, I used an oil based primer (Behr's). Unfortunately, there was a bit of Young House Love tutorial fail during this process. They said I could apply the primer with a brush or a foam roller, recommending the roller for beginners. So I foam rolled. And this resulted in air-bubbles in the primer. Now, I have never used oil based paint/primer/anything before, so I thought it was odd, but also thought "well, maybe this is how it is supposed to be". When searching the tutorial for what sheen of paint to use, in the comments section on their painting post, I saw several readers complaining about the foam roller leaving air bubbles. The YHL crew apologized, admitting they had never tried the roller, they stick to the brush method, and said they would update the post. Don't get me wrong, I heart this DIY couple a ton, but a bit of a fail - the update was never made and my table was now texturized. Oh well. I let it dry for 2.5 days, since it was pretty muggy out.



Finished product (almost!)

I applied two coats of Behr's "Popped Corn" (one of my favorite whites out there). I applied the first coat with a super smooth foam roller but still experienced the air bubbles, so I caved and began the meticulous job of using a brush and avoiding brush strokes. It came out pretty decently (you can just barely see the texture) and I am happy with my first adventure in furniture painting! Only step left is to put a coat of polyurethane on it to help with food spills/stains, but I will get to that later this week.

Welcome to my breakfast nook, Table. I think you and I are going to be friends. Especially after I dress you up with a fantabulous round rug I am getting from Anthropologie! :)

5 comments:

Jaime said...

Great job Melissa, looks great! I'm so jealous of your round bfast table!!

ACQ said...

I think it looks great, despite your troubles! I adore YHL as well, but it's good to know that it's worth checking the comments. You're doing such a wonderful job making your house a home!

Megan Bennett said...

I looks so good! Can't wait to see it once you get all your cute chairs and rug too!

Erin said...

It looks great Melissa! Now I know who to call when I need help refinishing a peice of furniture :)

Heather said...

Just for future reference, I discovered a new favorite roller this weekend. It's 4" long and about the width of a fat thumb. It's not foam, but it's not *quite* the same as a regular roller either-- reminds me of a rabbit's foot because the end that doesn't attach to the handle is covered with fluff to help spread paint in corners. It goes on a handle that's just a single wire.

Anyway, it puts paint on way faster and easier than a brush and without air bubbles. I used it for the bathroom cabinet and then used a small brush to touch up corners. I also discovered that it works really well to slap paint on door frames and then smooth it with a brush.

Your table looks great!