Thursday, April 12, 2012

Spring Cleaning!


Okay, so maybe "Spring" is pushing it a little bit...after all, it is just about mid-April, which usually means summer for all the places I've ever lived, but considering the temperature is in the 80s and there's little humidity...well, I'm calling that Spring. And with Spring, comes Spring Cleaning! I've never done Spring cleaning. Ever. I've been seeing posts on Facebook about Spring cleaning and so I decided to make a list too. And my awesome roomie has offered to help out some too. Now, since I am pretty limited right now in what I can physically accomplish since my joints are hurting so much, my goal is to complete my list by the end of April, so that gives me about 2.5 weeks...I think that's pretty decent, especially considering I am probably going to just pay the neighbor kid to take care of a few things (like power-washing the driveway and deck).

I'm not going to blog all the tasks (because, really, who wants to see what's under/behind a refrigerator that hasn't been moved in two years? Ick). But I figured I'd at least post the Spring Cleaning Kick-off Tasks!


Spring cleaning list tacked up next to the standard chore list (yes, my roomie and I keep a calendar of chores- both of us are super busy, so this house could get really messy if we aren't organized!). I even broke the list into Inside and Outside chores-hey, at least I didn't use a spreadsheet...it was tempting though ;-) ).


1) Trim gardenia bush

Gardenia plants have always hated me. I bought no less than 3 plants while living at my apartment and all of them died. I tweaked water, sunlight, and food. Didn't help. They just died. So I was thrilled to discover when I first moved in that a MASSIVE gardenia bush (it's really tree-like, meaning, I hope it is here to stay!) grows just outside one of my kitchen windows. The branches literally bend to the ground under the weight of the amazingly fragrant blossoms. But...it was getting a bit out of control. So time to trim.

Thankfully, I purchased a branch trimmer a long time ago that was approved by the American Arthritis Foundation, which means that people with ouch joints can actually use this tool and not have to apply too much pressure to trim a branch. So I trimmed. It didn't need a lot, so it only took about 15 minutes (crazy how long one can put off a 15 minute task :) ). And then I cut some of the blooms to Springify my kitchen :)


See the branches piled outside? My wrists wouldn't handle the bagging of them today, but I can do that tomorrow. And just 3 of these gardenia blooms make the kitchen smell AMAZING!!!

2) Clean out spice/tea/baking stuff cupboard

A hodgepodge of expired teas and spices, all cluttered together

Decluttered, shelves cleaned, and better organized. I could probably get some cute storage boxes to make it look even more organized...hmm...

Spring Cleaning is off to a successful start!

No comments: