Sunday, September 23, 2007

An Uneventful Weekend

So by this title, you can tell that this won't be a nail-biting, gut-gripping, sweaty-palm tale, unlike my usual blogs (ha!). After two very long and crazy weeks at work, I woke up Saturday morning and went running. I am thinking that I am training for the Houston half marathon in January. I say "thinking" because my rheumatologist told me flat out that he cannot endorse? condone? me running it, but I promised I would go slow...starting with a 5k next month, and see how I feel. The websites I have read on training say you should be able to run at least 30 minutes without stopping. I ran 15 minutes yesterday and about died (ran about 1.3 miles though...), so I went out this evening and slowed my pace down a bit and ran for 25 minutes (no idea what distance). So I think by the end of this week I should be able to hit the 30 minute mark, and I'll go from there. I don't think the 5k will be problem, but we'll see how I do in a 10k...

So after my run yesterday, I had a bagillion dozen things to do, but I was like "I just want to sit on my butt, and read, and do nothing." So I did. My friend Moose had recommended a series of books (Elm Creek Quilters). The first one was excellent. And then I watched a Back to the Future and worked on birthday cards for my friends with October birthdays.

Today I went to the Smythes after church for lunch. They have three children, Matthew (14), Sarah (12) and Katherine (8). Sarah and Katherine helped me to build my Build a Bear (his name is Morris Alexander :) ) a couple of years ago, so I take him over to visit his "playmates" whenever I go over there (unless I forget, which happens quite a bit). We had a great time playing Little House on the Prairie with the stuffed animals. They have such great imaginations. Good food, good company. All in all, a very relaxing, albeit unproductive weekend. Sometimes, you really just need one of those.

1 comment:

Joshua said...

Relaxing weekends rule! Glad you had a nice one!