Friday, December 21, 2007

12 Christmas Facts

So Erin tagged me to tell 12 Christmas facts about myself...funny thing is, she and I share some Christmas quirks :)...

1) Both my mom and I own Christmas dishes and use them :)
2) Every year on Christmas Eve (yes, even now), my brother, sister, and I get to open one gift- and it is always Christmas underwear.
3) White Christmas is my all-time, without-a-doubt favorite Christmas movie...I think I have it memorized...well at least all the songs
4) We eat chili (homemade of course- Grandma's recipe) on Christmas Eve...this is at least a 35 year old tradition...
5) My brother, sister, and I used to feel bad for any Christmas ornaments that got left in the box so it was our mission to put them ALL on the tree...we have a lot of ornaments, especially since my Mom is a teacher and gets them as gifts. Needless to say, it didn't really matter what type of tree we picked out, since you couldn't see the tree behind the ornaments. These days, it looks naked since none of us kids are home to show our parents how its done :)
6) My mom makes Christmas cookies and it was the kids job to decorate them: a task we despised 'cause Mom would make about 50 bagillion of them. We made our own frosting from powdered sugar and food coloring and for those last few dozen cookies, we got tired of spreading the frosting on nicely and just started dunking the cookies in the frosting...Mom would never let us give those to our neighbors on the goodie plates so it was more for us :)
7) I usually start listening to Christmas music in October (and so does anyone who does anything artsy-crafty)
8) We have a Christmas Eve party ever year that all our family and friends are invited to...chili and ham provided. Spoons and Jenga are played (my Grandma is really good at Jenga)
9) We feast on our traditional Christmas Day morning breakfast of breakfast burritos
10) We used to wake up on Christmas morning to a new stuffed animal at the foot of our beds. The first year we didn't, my brother and I threw a fit...I was 24... :)
11) Every year we put up my parents first Christmas tree (along with our REAL tree) and we decorate it. They got married on Dec 18th and returned from their honeymoon on Christmas Eve. Every place was closed except for McClellans (drugstore?) and they bought the only tree left, a little two foot thing. It traveled to college with me during my dorm days. It is 31 years old this Christmas.
12) Christmas baking...you can read my other blog about that

I now tag Heather, Desiree, and Adrienne

Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Man - and I thought my family was weird with the Christmas underwear thing. Those are a GREAT dozen! You crack me up...

Dave Reed said...

I agree, Melissa!! I'm glad you and Erin have so much in common around Christmas. Keep after her and find a church where she can get her candlelight service with a bell choir. Then make her go with you.