Sunday, August 23, 2009

Clear Lake International Triathlon



The lack of posts has been due to the fact that life has been extremely busy- work, sleep, and training. Training for...the Clear Lake International Triathlon, Olympic Distance! (0.93 mile swim, 24.8 mile bike, 6.2 mile run).

Yesterday Lisa and I, along with some of our friends/co-workers, participated in this event. Big thanks to my roomies and my friend Jana, who is visiting (and took the pictures), for coming out to cheer us on.


Barry, me, Lisa, Scott, Sunni pre-race

I did better than I planned on the swim and bike (I had set "worst-case time goals" that I would be happy with and beat those).


That's me in the white cap at the end of the swim


Coming in from the bike

The run was brutal, it was really hot (in the 90s and humid) and I just do not run well in those conditions, so it wasn't the 10k time I was hoping for, but 1hr 11 minutes wasn't bad for the amount of walking I did...the first mile I ran was in 9min! Getting off of a bike going 17mph and starting to run completely screws up your sense of speed, so I definitely went much faster at first than I normally would have.


Starting the run

Still, my goal was to complete the tri in 3hrs 30 min and I did it in 3 hrs 28 min, so I am happy with the overall results. It was my first time transitioning with bike shoes too, so I know I can improve in that area. I am also excited to start some speed work training in my swim and I know I can improve in the bike (I think some weights and spin classes are in order :) ).


Chatting afterwards...I ran most of the time with that towel on my head and dumped ice water on it at every water station. Best idea ever :)

So I ended my tri season on a good note. While there are several available tris left in the season, I am refocusing my training efforts to prepare for my first half-marathon, the San Antonio Rock and Roll half-marathon in November. I am also registered for the Houston half-marathon in January. I plan to do several Olympic distance tris next year and am currently waiting to see how the Nov half-marathon goes to see where I should plan my first Half-Iron distance! Yep, you read right, Lisa and I are going to step up to the Half-Iron distance at some point (a Half-Iron is 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, and 13.1 mile run)...its just determining first if I can handle that much running at once and then picking the best time to do one...


Best training/running/tri buddy ever, Lisa!

I was thinking while on the bike yesterday, how amazing it is that I can do these races. Some people with my disease are in constant pain and battling health instability all the time. I have been very blessed that the medicines I am on work well for me and that I have an awesome doctor (who still thinks I am crazy for doing this and is still amazed that I am ABLE to do these races). It is God who is sustaining my health through the rigors and stress of training, work, and life in general. I know it may not always be this way, so that makes me extra thankful for this very healthy period, where I can experience being an athlete. The training wasn't problem free, but I am being very careful to rest and pull back when any issues arise (so all you worryers, STOP WORRYING! :) ). So, I'll praise Him now for the privilege to participate in triathlons and half-marathons, and by His grace, I will praise Him still, if that privilege ever goes away.

Tris rock!!!!!

3 comments:

nujoud said...

Congrats on the Tri! Always great to meet a goal and even better to do so on a hot and humid day.

Erin said...

You ladies rock! I really want to join you, can I be a tri-buddy?

Colette Frazier said...

Melissa rocks!