Friday, July 2, 2010

Summertime food favorite

I grew up in Arizona. It is very hot in Arizona during the summer. Very hot. So hot, it takes away your appetite sometimes (my parents don't have AC in our house, we use this thing called 'evaporative cooling'- works great since there is little to no humidity in AZ). Anyhow...hot. So, during the summer, my mom would whet our appetites by making tunafish salad and fill hollowed-out tomatoes. It was awesome biting into that tuna-y tomato-y coldness when the rest of you was sweltering. I'm not a fan of tuna anymore, so here's my adaptation of our family's summertime favorite:



Chicken Salad Stuffed Tomatoes

1 1/2 cups cooked and shredded chicken (I used 3 medium chicken breasts)
2tsp honey
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1c mayo
3 ribs of celery, chopped
1 red apple (unpeeled) cut into chunks
shredded swiss cheese
fresh basil
~6 medium to large tomatoes

I mix the honey, vinegar, and mayo and then add it to the chicken/celery/apple mixture. Add swiss cheese and fresh chopped basil to taste.

Scrape out the inside of the tomatoes and stuff with the chicken salad. Top with extra cheese and/or basil and refrigerate for a few hours until chilled. Then eat. Enjoy!


5 comments:

Lynn and Chad said...

This looks awesome! I'm gonna have to try it! Seriously, my mouth is watering at the sight of those plump tomatoes filled with chicken salad. I'm also becoming less of a tuna fan the older I get :)

nujoud said...

Those look good, I'll have to try them.

Erin said...

That looks awesome!

Megan Bennett said...

Ummmmm....one word comes to mind: DELICIOUS!!

Todd said...

Oh yes...i'm familiar with the swamp cooler. Strangely, those things work...when the humidity is low. I'll take my AC any day.

And yes, I focused on the mechanical nature of this blog as opposed to the food.

But that looks tasty!