Saturday, February 16, 2008

Pseudo Piroshki

I attempted to make piroshki (a little pastry stuffed with yummy stuff) for the first time. This included making the pastry dough from scratch...I've never even made bread from scratch. I was very relieved when the dough did rise!



I stuffed the piroshki with a mixture of cabbage, potato, onion, and turkey sausage. I also made a couple stuffed with an apple cinnamon mixture, and another with sausage and apples.



They came out okay...I think the dough needs to be a little sweeter (at least that's how I remember it from the ones I've had in Russia). I did half white flour/half wheat flour. And they were a little hard on the outside...maybe I didn't let the dough rise long enough?



Of course, I had too much filling, so I over-stuffed them, which caused them to split a bit when they baked.
Oh well, it's fun to try new things...

6 comments:

Lisa said...

They look and sound yummy!!

Stasha said...

I want some! We HAVE to go to the farmer's market together sometime--you would love the English "pasties."

Adrienne Renea said...

You didn't tag me...Melissa Lunsford tagged me!
:c)

Adrienne Renea said...

hehe..did you get my message?

Stasha said...

Well, my dear girl, I have come to a decision to dispose of my facebook page. This leaves a bit of room in my life for the aforementioned blogspot, which, needless to say, is far more simple to use!

Colette Frazier said...

Those look dee-lish! wish i could have a bite! your dough sounds like mine--not quite right:) but they look like they tasted scrumpcious!
love ya-colette