Thursday, May 14, 2009

Knowledge

I just finished re-reading "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom. You should read it. One of my favorite parts is this conversation between little-girl Corrie and her father. She asks him a tough-adult question (they are traveling on a train and he has his work-bag with him). Here's their conversation after Corrie has asked her question and dad hasn't answered yet:

" At last, he lifted his traveling case from the rack over our heads, and set it on the floor. 'Will you carry it off the train, Corrie?' he said. I stood up and tugged at it. It was crammed with the watches and spare parts he had purchased that morning. 'It's too heavy', I said. 'Yes,' he said, 'And it would be a pretty poor father who would ask his little girl to carry such a heavy load. It's the same way, Corrie, with knowledge. Some knowledge is too heavy for children. When you are older and stronger you can bear it. For now you must trust me to carry it for you."

And the parallel that I drew:

God is the same way with His children. He doesn't overburden us with all the details of His plans, He gives us the knowledge we need at the exact moment we need it- not before, and not after. Perfect timing. He knows when we are strong enough, prepared for the next step-whatever that might be. And we, as His children, must trust Him to keep His plans, to carry that knowledge for us, until that perfect moment arrives. Wow.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I like that :)

Melissa said...

What a nice picture.

Rob, Melissa, Luke & Joel Green said...

I like how you broke that down - made it easy to think about. I, of course, will have the Operation Ivy song, "Knowledge" stuck in my head for days now - thank you! "all I know is that I don't know, all I know is that I don't know nothing!" hehe

-R

Colette Frazier said...

Love this book too! Stayed up way too late reading by flashlight under the covers...last year:) And June 7th, that's this weekend! Blessings on the triathalon. And congrats on the new bike and total deal on it! No turning back now--you are officially a tri-athelete!:)