Wednesday, August 22, 2012

I miss coffee


Coffee...oh that elixir of awesomeness that warms you and wakes you at the same time. I have been known to hug my coffee mug. Yes, I have issues, that should surprise none of you :). For the last four weeks (gasp, it's been four weeks!?) coffee has smelled and sounded disgusting to me. I'm allowed to drink it, I have no diet restrictions right now, but it just doesn't sound good to me. But I find myself missing it at the same time. Weird. Tea, on the other hand, sounds awesome, and I down about three mugs of it daily, black tea in the morning being a staple for the caffeine...still need my caffeine fix :)

The latest on the abdominal drama:

I met with the GI doctor on Tuesday and from the camera-swallowing test, he saw no new lesions - this is a HUGE praise because we didn't even talk about the "other" autoimmune disease that more lesions could have indicated. Such mercy.

From the gastric emptying test (instead of radioactive oatmeal, I ate a radioactive egg sandwich and then they filmed my stomach for the next ninety minutes to see how quickly my stomach emptied.) I do have gastroparesis (paralysis of the stomach) and it's severe enough that I started on meds yesterday. I take them before every meal to start my stomach contracting. The doc said that over time, the pain should lessen. Here's where the medical geek in me geeked out about the body/brain awesomeness (seriously, if I think to much about it, I think I slightly sprain something in my mind). What I am experiencing is called "visceral pain" - my stomach isn't working right, so it tells my brain "hey brain, I am not working correctly." The signal from the stomach is interpreted as a pain signal, so therefore, I feel pain. Crazy right? And difficult to treat. The whole gastroparesis thing isn't well understood either - it's most likely due to nerve damage, but from what? Most patients with gastroparesis are diabetics, which I am thankfully not. So I still have some open questions about that - the most likely culprit is the lupus. I have an infusion on Friday, so I am hoping to catch my rheumo doc then and ask him more about it.

So, now, I wait. I am going to email my acupuncturist and ask her if some Chinese herbs or some needles might help (the med I am on is only allowed for short-term use due to the serious side effects it has. After a month, I go on a less effective antibiotic...for how long, I am still not sure). Back in the spring, I was using acupuncture for my joint pain, lack of appetite, and fevers. It helped with the fevers and lack of appetite. I was experiencing the abdominal pain back then too, but it went away. I just connected the two thoughts yesterday that it went away after my acupuncture treatments, so there may be a non-medicine swallowing way to help the problem, which I am all for...so I am going to look into that.

Several people have asked - so, are you going crazy, having to be at home, and not just be at home and able to do stuff, but really, only be able to be at home and lay around all day? The answer is, surprisingly, no. Sure, I get a little antsy at times, and I am very much looking forward to getting back to my "normal" life, but God has given me such a peace and trust in how things are going. I am also blessed with at least one visitor per day and that really helps break up the day - I find my days going by swiftly. The fact that I am usually always on the go, doing fifty million projects at once, and always have a full schedule, and I am NOT going bonkers right now is only because of the grace and mercy of the Lord and I am very thankful for what He is doing in my life right now.

"For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it" - Hebrews 12:11

No comments: