Saturday, August 9, 2008

Just a great day...

So I had a really fun day today. It started off with Lisa and I trekking over to Twin Lakes Scuba Park to practice the open water swim. She's swum in a lake before (during her last tri) but I'm a newbie and didn't want to panic on race day. So we swam two 300m. Times were around my 7:46 ballpark, so I was pleased with that. And I didn't freak out (too much) when my foot touched a shallow, squishy, icky part of the lake bottom or when little fish decided to nibble on my legs and feet. So I call it a success!

Then we headed over to Tri On the Run for a seminar in transitions and nutrition. Transitions are the periods of time between each of the tri events when you are switching to the next event (grabbing your bike, putting on your runing shoes, etc). It was good because the speaker walked through each step of the tri process, a definite bonus for a novice.

And then the nutrition seminar! Well, this was actually why I wanted to go, because with my increase in workouts per week, I don't think I am eating the right stuff, even though I am a pretty healthy eater, I have been lacking energy recently. I also want to keep my health in good shape and diet is a large part of that. I had been contemplating seeing a nutritionist to put together a meal plan and give me some pointers and voila! this seminar happens. This woman is AWESOME! And I am totally making an appointment to meet with her. It is a bit pricey, but totally worth it to make sure I stay healthy. They do a metabolic rate test and come up with meals that work for you during the week, for your training, etc. And since 1/2 marathon training is just around the corner, I think it will be perfect!

Then, Lisa, Dana (another NASA gal, who is a tri veteran), and I went over and talked tri talk at the Cheesecake Factory...I think the Vanilla Bean cheesecake might replace the Lemon Raspberry as my favorite cheesecake ever (and yes we ate cheesecake after listening to a nutrition seminar....everything in moderation folks! :) )

My head is just swimming (no pun intended!) with all the information that I got from the seminars, Lisa, and Dana. So exciting!!!!

2 comments:

Lynn and Chad said...

You can do it!! That's so awesome, What day is the race?

Oh, I like the term grindylows...you're funny!

Melissa said...

The race is August 17th! And grindlylows are a creature from Harry Potter that live in the lake and try and grab swimmers :)...so I can't claim it as my own term :)