Friday, April 25, 2008

Namaste from India!

I made it! After sitting next to stinky, sweaty, snoring man from Houston to Newark, I was blessed with an entire ROW of seats on the flight from Newark to Delhi, so that meant I caught some major zzz's on the flight- about 6 or 7 hours worth (yay for Ambien!). I did get motion sick on the descent (I really need to kick this problem) and was able to make it to the bathroom on the plane in time- I don't recommend trying an Indian breakfast in reverse...
I made two friends in the Delhi airport, Mo and Vsha. They helped me navigate to the inter-airport bus and we hung out for 10 hours at the domestic terminal waiting for our flights. I didn't get pictures, but they were really nice people. I highly recommend Jet Airways for flying in India- the food was AMAZING and the aircraft was super nice and clean.
Brian, Colette and the kids picked me up at the crazy chaotic (the start of the Bangalore theme). I couldn't believe the crazy traffic- I thought Moscow was bad. Rickshaws, motorcycles, people walking in the middle of the lane, bicycles loaded down with wares, no street lines, and no right of way rules (so it seemed to me) - I am one very impressed person at the courage Brian and Colette have to drive around the city.
I managed to make it until about 4pm that afternoon (after an fantastic lunch at a new restaurant-I seriously love Indian food) before pretty much falling asleep mid-sentence talking with Colette :). After a short nap, we picked Brian up from work and went to a Biriyani restaurant (The Hyderbaad House). Biriyani is a popular dish in the city (region?) of Hyderbaad, rice seasoned with saffron (I think- it was yellow and didn't taste like tumeric) and spicy meats. Yum!
Today, Colette and the kids and I braved traffic (well, I braved it- Colette was a master at not freaking out every time we had a close call- and there were many- crazy truck and bus drivers!). We went to the Bangalore Fort and the Tunni (I think I am calling it the wrong thing) Palace. And then strolled some in the city market. It was pretty hot, but the kids were really good sports about it. Everyone was staring at us (we stood out quite a bit). Colette says she is used it now, but it was really unnerving for me. I'm glad she was with me. Here are a few pictures from today. We're going to small group tonight and I am really looking forward to meeting some of their church family.

Bangalore Day 2

2 comments:

Heather said...

How awesome! I'm so glad your trip went well! Tell Colette hi for us! Wish we could be there to travel around with ya'll!

TimaSue said...

hope your trip is amazing! so glad to hear you got there with out too many mishaps, and for all your co-passengers on your descent I shall say thank you for them for at making it to the bathroom. sorry to hear you were sick on the way down. bad motion sickness!!! Anyways plane rides aside, your pictures look great! You and Collete could have been twins that day in your matching yellow shirts. The architecture of the palace is gorgeous. Can't wait to see the rest of your pics.