Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Know-it-all Status

So, I'm in chapter M of the Know-it-all book. I was a tad annoyed with the guy for awhile, him being all bumptious and stuff, and he saddened me with what he gleaned from the Britannica description of Ecclesiastes, but I've moved on and have a few great tidbits to share...

First off, it seems that I am retaining some of his knowledge from Britannica. For instance, the other day, I friend likened me to Professor Frink from the Simpsons (hush- no comments please)- and as I am completely unfamiliar with the Simpsons, he sent me a list of quotes from Frink. One of quotes mentioned monkeys going berserk...and my brain gave a little "ding" there: I learned from the Know-it-All in the B chapter that Berserkers were Nordic soldiers who went into battle naked, so to really be "beserk", you have to be naked. I just find it funny that it was a quote from the Simpsons that made my brain ding. (Tangent: never EVER thought a blog of mine would mention the Simpsons).

Secondly, the Know-it-All tells a cockroach story. He squashed one with the K volume of the Britannica. I for one can appreciate a good cockroach story.

Thirdly, I learned a new dorky word fact. I like words a lot, and how they are used. I even earmarked the page because when I read it I thought "I'm going to blog about this". So here it is: A captionym is a word who's meaning changes when it is capitalized. Such as Herb and herb or Polish and polish. Isn't that cool?

And fourthly, although somewhat inappropriate, I find the following tremendously funny and give props to this guy's wife for still loving him.

He sent her flowers (after the mentioned she was becoming an encyclopedia widow (due to his exorbitant amount of time spent with his nose in the books) with a card that read "These flowers are bisexual, but I am straight and I love you". (humor explanation: most flowers are male and female (i.e angiosperms). Chuckle...chuckle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha! I really like nerds. And that's one reason I like you. : )