Saturday, January 3, 2009

Belated New Year's Post

Yeah, yeah I realize that it's now January 3rd, but I unexpectedly had to work console the past couple of days and now I am sick yet again. Grrr...doesn't sickness realize that I have a TON of stuff to do (like packing and moving and quilting?)

Anyways, down to business. So, something that has become a New Years Day tradition for me is to read back over the prayer journal I keep throughout the year. I tend to fall asleep while praying (oops!), so I found that writing my prayers out helps me to focus. I also use it for my Bible studies and as your standard-run-of-the-mill journal as well. I highly recommend keeping one. It's always so awesome, despite whatever bad/challenging stuff has been going on, to read through and see the amazing work that God has been doing in my life and in lives of the people around me. It's easy to forget the good things when in the midst of struggles, and by reflecting on His work, I am reminded of how much I depend on Him, or need to depend on Him. It's also a good reminder to see that His timing is perfect. I may have prayed about something at the beginning of the year, and didn't see results (and the results are not always what I prayed for...they are always BETTER) until months later...some things even take years...( ha! so that's where 'patience is a virtue' came from...hehe).

It's also interesting to see how I have changed over the year( and no, not just the red hair!)- things that I was anxious about a year ago, I'm not anymore. Things I was afraid of, God has given me peace. My perspective has changed in a lot of ways. Now, of course, there's a whole slew of new paranoias/flaws that He and I will need to deal with this coming year :), but that's what growing is all about right?

I also make new year's goals. I made 13 last year and met 12 of them! They range from all sorts of topics: financial, personal, spiritual. For instance, I wanted to keep track of how many books I read...27!

For this year? Hmm...run a half-marathon, read 30 books ;-), save X amount of dollars...well, that's all I am willing to share in a public forum at least...

So, I challenge you to sit down, if you haven't already, and reflect over your last year. If you don't keep a journal, ask your friends to remind you of things you were concerned about or struggled with over the year, goals you might have mentioned, and take a moment to praise Him- because whether you believe in Him or not, He is moving in your life. Try to see it. Happy New Year!

4 comments:

shari said...

Great blog Melissa! Thanks for sharing some of your goals and your encouraging words. You are a blessing!

Anonymous said...

packing and moving?!?!?!........

Adrienne Renea said...

Thank you so much for sharing, Melissa. I love how God teaches me stuff through you! I'm so grateful to have you as a "big sister" :)

Colette Frazier said...

Good stuff Melissa. I'm inspired. And i still need to sit down with my notebook/journal and be thankful for everything the Lord blessed us with in 2008. Atleast that is on a list of to-do's in my notebook:)

half marathon is next week!!! what's the word on the leg? wish we were there to cheer you on. we used to be there every year! can't wait to hear about it. xoxo